The Compass Magazine is an online-only magazine. We focus on an audience of educated Seventh-day Adventist laypeople. Our goal is to provide solid biblical content dealing with important issues in the church and society in a way that supports the church and Adventist beliefs.
What We Look For:
The best way to determine what kinds of content we are interested in publishing is to read the website. Feel free to contact us to query about a specific topic.
Most published articles are between 800 and 2,500 words, are written in a general or conversational style, and cover topics that are relevant today. Longer articles will need to be shortened before submitting. Make your copy web-friendly by using headings, lists, and short paragraphs.
Articles should be balanced/centrist theologically while remaining respectful and supportive of the church at large. They should be based on a sound understanding of Scripture and Ellen White’s writings.
Approaches we desire include:
- Articles discussing contemporary questions/challenges in Seventh-day Adventist theology and history.
- Carefully reasoned debate on “hot” or controversial subjects. None of our articles will be simply polemical (one-sided without any evaluation or honest dialogue with other viewpoints) or overly aggressive in tone. We’re not afraid of asking difficult questions or addressing more cutting-edge material, but it needs to be done thoughtfully and in such a way that someone who might differ could engage in cordial dialogue. We may employ a peer-review process beyond the editorial committee for some topics to insure that your article is understandable to a variety of potential readers.
- Opinion and personal-experience pieces on how our faith engages cultural and societal challenges.
- Practical ideas for ministry.
- Thoughtful reflections and expositions of Bible stories or passages, aiming to deepen our relationship with Christ.
- Journalistic articles about important events and trends in the church.
- Audio and video content, which could include interviews with individuals who are making an impact in the church and community.
International contributions are welcome.
How to Prepare Your Manuscript:
- Microsoft Word is the preferred file type for articles. You can also use Apple Pages or put the article in the body of an email.
- Whenever possible, place references within the text in parentheses. Keep endnotes at a minimum. In-text hyperlinks are encouraged. Include the version for any Bible quotations.
- List a few key words at the beginning of your article that relate to the article’s content. E.g., Sabbath, Eschatology, Worship Styles, Salvation, etc.
- Please refrain from using unusual fonts or paragraph formatting.
- Include your name, mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address on the manuscript.
- Include a short biographical paragraph about yourself.
- If your article is accepted for publication, you will be asked to upload a photo of yourself to use with the article.
How to Submit:
- Email your manuscript as an attached file to the editor who requested it or to email@example.com.
- The editors may request revisions to the article to better fit the goals of the site and the interests of our readers.
- Please allow 4 weeks for response to articles or queries.
- We pay up to $200 for original, unpublished articles. We also reprint articles published elsewhere, but we do not pay for reprints.
- We pay on publication (within 4 weeks after the article is posted online).