Are you a detail-oriented person who enjoys working with words and the Web? Do you have a passion for sharing spiritual truths in thought-provoking ways? You could be an ideal candidate for our latest employment opportunity as Managing Editor! Read on for more information:
The Compass Magazine seeks a highly self-motivated managing editor to manage publication, marketing, and general administrative tasks. The applicant may start immediately, or by Jaunary 2, 2018 at the latest.
Duties will include:
- Facilitating weekly editorial staff meetings
- Organize and manage the magazine’s presence at conferences including GYC, ASI, etc.
- Serve as a liaison between the editorial staff and the executive board
- Developing publishing and marketing strategies
- Identify and contract authors for publication
- Formatting and posting articles on the Compass website
- Finding and formatting photos for use with articles
- Proofreading and/or editing articles
- Social media posting
- General administrative and managerial duties
- Assess submitted articles for honorariums
- Author payment processing
- Identify articles for the bi-weekly newsletter
The candidate will also have the opportunity to write blog posts and/or news articles for Compass.
- Excellent grammatical and proofreading skills
- Experience with WordPress or other online content management systems
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Basic photo editing skills (cropping, resizing)
- Basic knowledge of manipulating spreadsheets
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work with minimal supervision (candidate will work remotely via Internet)
- Ability to meet short deadlines (1-7 days)
- Commitment to the beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Background or interest in theology desired but not required
Candidate must have access to a computer, software (including Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel), and Internet connection.
Initial training and will be provided by the outgoing Compass Managing Editor, Ingram London.
Hours: up to 20 hours per week
To apply: Send resume and two writing samples (news/feature article, essay/blog, research paper) to: [email protected].
Application deadline: December 1, 2017
The Compass Magazine is an online source of news and information about issues affecting the Seventh-day Adventist Church. We offer well-researched, Bible-based articles that encourage thoughtful discussion and dialogue in an environment that supports the church and its beliefs.